Wake Up, America! Wake Up! PLEASE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here’s the corrupt part of what Ron DeSantis is doing with Disney​

Disney is being offered a special tax break if it will refrain from opposing Republican legislation.

Of course, Disney is being stupid and is caught up in liberal media-inspired hair-on-fire campaign against a bill — just as MLB and others fell for the media freakout on voting in Georgia last year. Also, Disney benefits from way too many corporate-welfare gifts from Florida, local governments, and the federal governments.

So on the substance of the relevant policies: the sex education bill and Disney’s special tax treatment. There are lots of good matters to debate. I am closer to Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on those than to Disney or most of the establishment media. But here’s why I have a big problem with what Florida Republicans are doing here.

Lt. Gov. Jeannette Nunez went on Newsmax television with Eric Bolling and made a true point, which I don’t believe either she or DeSantis had made before this year: “I don’t think that anyone that is watching this program would agree that one corporation in the state of Florida should be treated differently compared to others that are in the same industry.”

Bolling pointed out that losing this special tax status would cost Disney “tens of billions of dollars” and then asked the key question:

“Is there an opportunity for Disney to change their mind and say, ‘We will disregard this whole woke agenda. We’ll go back to what we originally dealt with the state of Florida,’ and the Governor would say ‘OK, you keep your status, but let’s talk more. We’re gonna keep an eye on you now?' How does this play out for Disney? A lot of people like Disney, and they don’t want to not like Disney anymore.”

Nunez gave a long rambling answer that began with an ambiguous "sure," but she never answered Bolling’s question directly. Instead, she discussed what will happen when Disney lobbies to restore the privileges that will be erased with this new bill. “That’ll be something that the legislature will have to decide," she said. "So we’ll see. … They’ll have their day. Obviously, the legislature will decide, and at that point, the governor will decide what to do as well.”

This is familiar language. Usually, it comes from lawmakers wishing to derive partisan loyalty and campaign cash from affected companies. Former New York Democratic Rep. Charlie Rangel, the longtime chairman of the tax-writing Ways and Means Committee, constantly used to promise massive tax overhauls in which “everything is on the table.” This was a call to every tax lobbyist and every CEO that they had better pony up to Uncle Charlie’s reelection/legal defense fund.

DeSantis and Nunez may not be trying to milk Disney for donations, but this remark suggests they are milking Disney for political cooperation in the form of neutrality.

If the Republicans running the state consistently said that “Disney’s special treatment is wrong, and we will end it now and forever,” we’d be in the position of questioning the timing of an objectively good action. But now that the DeSantis-Nunez administration says they will listen to Disney’s petition next year to restore its tax privileges, this looks like a quid pro quo, which is corrupt.

Ok, Disney loses some money, they have plenty

Disney special district: Florida taxpayers could face $1 ...

Apr 21, 2022 · Florida-Disney battle could cost taxpayers more than $1 billion A repeal of Disney’s self-government status in Florida could leave local taxpayers with more than $1 billion in bond

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP :cold:
well dimwit....just pointingf out how stupid you are to have slept through the trump ,administration..........and then take up the russian propaganda on Biden.....wait....didn't trump work with Russia to get elected....and isn't trump asking P.utin for help again.....and tell me who you are pushing for and against.........for russian and it appears against america

damn go figure.........put our some more of your one liners showing your intelligence.....

HEY Ridge if you’re out there - tell me Elon Musk doesn’t have a controlling interest in Twitter NOW !!!!!! 😁

Dems worst nightmare - FREE SPEECH - to return to Twitter SOON 👍👍
yes he does....and has already stated no real changes......trump must have got the message and said he doesn't want back on......who is he bullshitting? Blkliar or Bozo might buy that but not the rest of us

well dimwit....just pointingf out how stupid you are to have slept through the trump ,administration..........and then take up the russian propaganda on Biden.....wait....didn't trump work with Russia to get elected....and isn't trump asking P.utin for help again.....and tell me who you are pushing for and against.........for russian and it appears against america

damn go figure.........put our some more of your one liners showing your intelligence.....

LUV it when ya unabashedly show how brainwashed and how badly suffering from TDS ye be !!!!! 👍👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back