Politics, Politics, Politics

After eight years of obstructing Obama every single day of his 2 terms ... and vowing to repeal & replace Obamcare, and Republicans expect Democrats to lay down and kiss their sorry asses ... :rolleyes:

all that talk for all those years and they have nothing!
and trumps big campaign promise...maybe not!.... but then he is just out to destroy anything Obama did!

jealousy is a terrible thing..... and those poll numbers he says are no big deal.... for a guy with his ego... you know it is eating him up!
and the 2 people he hates the most... are still the most popular people!

Trump can’t ‘let’ Obamacare fail — but he can help destroy it

The Republican efforts to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act (ACA) have failed for now, and in response, President Donald Trump tweeted that the Republican-held legislature should let “Obamacare fail,” though he promised to not give up on repeal.

“Obamacare isn’t failing. It’s failed. Done,” said Trump Tuesday afternoon. “We’ll let Obamacare fail. We’re not going to own it. I’m not going to own it.”

But the ACA, known as Obamacare, does not appear to be failing, experts say, and Trump is in control of its fate. Currently, the individual insurance markets have stabilized, according to analysis by the Kaiser Family Foundation and S&P. Insurers’ financial performance has been very solid, showing improved loss-ratios, which is the standard by which health insurance is measured. Gross margin is also up, according to the data.

'Let Obamacare fail,' Trump says after GOP plan collapses

The Republican efforts to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act (ACA) have failed for now, and in response, President Donald Trump tweeted that the Republican-held legislature should let “Obamacare fail,” though he promised to not give up on repeal.

On Tuesday over iced tea and lemon, Trump said Obamacare had already “failed.” (Getty)

But the ACA, known as Obamacare, does not appear to be failing, experts say, and Trump is in control of its fate. Currently, the individual insurance markets have stabilized, according to analysis by the Kaiser Family Foundation and S&P. Insurers’ financial performance has been very solid, showing improved loss-ratios, which is the standard by which health insurance is measured. Gross margin is also up, according to the data.

The real failure of the ACA currently

The ACA’s biggest problem is the fact that 38 counties across the United States are at risk of having no insurers participating in the exchanges. Most of these are sparsely populated, but having no options for people looking to buy individual plans is a failure.

But since, currently, it’s the only system in place—not the GOP replacement—the Trump administration is in a position to be a part of the solution. Or a part of the problem.

The federal government pays cost-sharing payments to insurers to incentivize them to join the marketplace to sell plans to low-income people. Under the Obama administration, the House challenged these payments, but a judge permitted the payments to continue pending appeal. The payments would stop if the House suit wins, or if the Trump administration decided to drop the appeal. It’s the uncertainty of whether it will drop the appeal that is scaring insurers and resulting in exits.

The payments need to continue

“The most important thing that the president and the Republican senators can do is to ensure the funding for the cost-sharing reductions continues,” Dr. Mario Molina, former CEO of Molina Healthcare, told Yahoo Finance.
“[Trump] has funded those on a month-to-month basis with no assurance they will continue. This is causing a lot of destabilization in the marketplace.”
Consistently, insurance executives like Molina have cited uncertainty about the Trump administration keeping payments coming as the reason for withdrawing from the market or hiking premiums significantly. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina, for instance, raised premiums an average of 23% for 2018, and noted that they would have only increased 8% if the administration had been decisive about delivering cost-sharing subsidies.

“Insurers have had to raise premiums in anticipation that they will go away,” said Molina. “[Trump] could immediately bring down costs and bring stability if he could get the Republicans together to fund them on a permanent basis.”

According to KFF, stopping payments would actually increase the cost to the federal government by $2.3 billion as premium tax credits would go up with premiums.

This puts the ball firmly in the administration’s court to act, and polling suggests that it would be a politically shrewd move. Twice as many people surveyed by KFF noted that the current administration and Republican-controlled Congress would be responsible for future problems, rather than the previous administration.

“If he withdraws the funding, [Trump] will immediately cause collapse and there will be no one to blame but him,” said Molina. “Many insurers will raise premiums, and many will withdraw.”

The two big things Trump could do to further stabilize the market

In addition to committing to paying insurers, the Trump administration could do them a favor by enforcing the ACA’s mandate for coverage, which results in more healthy people signing up for coverage, which stabilizes the market. Though this hasn’t been an issue of uncertainty—the Trump administration has been certain about not enforcing the mandate—a reversal would incentivize insurers to participate and drive down premiums. According to Molina, many insurers think the ACA penalties for not carrying insurance were too low.

“If he does those two things [committing to cost-sharing payments and enforcing the mandate] the ship will right itself,” said Molina. “If he doesn’t, then the blame falls squarely on his shoulders.”

Lessons from Medicare—which has seen insurer exits before

There are also lessons we can learn from Medicare Advantage’s insurer exits.

In a paper published by Georgetown’s Health Policy Institute with the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, researchers Sabrina Corlette and Jack Hoadley looked to see how lessons from Medicare could be applied to the ACA.

According to Hoadley, reinstating risk-sharing that existed in the early years of the ACA would help stabilize the market. “That would really help the insurers in some of these states with a limited number of plans to feel less at risk and provide a backbone if things don’t work out so well,” Hoadley told Yahoo Finance. Currently Alaska is experimenting with reinsurance to unburden insurers, a tactic other states could use.

Committing to advertising during open enrollment would be another tactic that would satisfy and help attract insurers, Hoadley said. People who need healthcare will enroll, but healthy people are different. “They’re the ones where outreach and advertising works,” said Hoadley. “That helps make the risk pool healthier.”

Though it would require Congress as well, Hoadley’s research found that increasing the payments—not just committing to them—worked well for Medicare in the past.

Some insurers exited the Medicare Advantage program in the early 2000s, which caused 31% of Advantage participants to not have a plan available. The government increased payments to insurers, and after, everyone had at least one option on the market. These costs would be offset by increased participation and lower premiums, which would mean lower premium tax credits. While these payment increases may not be feasible now, Hoadley told Yahoo Finance that regulatory easing could have a similar effect in getting insurers to participate.

Ways to repair the ACA go beyond learning from Medicare’s exploits, and many of them are not simply up to Trump but would require Congress and reaching across the aisle for support. Seeing as the ACA repeal versions generally kept the same structure as the ACA—which had roots in the conservative movement and was implemented by Mitt Romney—bipartisan fixes are not impossible.

Molina said the Trump administration needs to act quickly if it wants to stabilize markets. “[The GOP] were ready to move heaven and earth [for the repeal bill],” he said. “They have the ability to act quickly—Congress is still in session and will be for weeks. McConnell could introduce legislation and the House would follow.”

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/trump-cant-let-obamacare-fail-can-help-destroy-192444325.html

Last edited:
Back to Square One for Republicans as Trump, McConnell Push for Repeal, Replace It Later Strategy

Having failed to come together on healthcare, Senate Republicans are back to square one: resurfacing a 2015 bill vetoed by former President Barack Obama that would repeal portions of Obamacare but lay no framework for a replacement plan. It's unclear whether even this bill could pass, now that Republicans worried about going too far in repealing Obamacare or not far enough know President Trump could sign it into law. The Congressional Budget Office projections for the earlier clean repeal legislation showed significantly higher numbers of uninsured than under the proposals Republicans have been struggling with in recent months. The now-defunct Senate bill would increase the number of uninsured ...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/910650b4-ecaa-395e-9a08-56deb3a20692/ss_back-to-square-one-for.html

Paul Ryan threw Republican senators under the bus on their healthcare failure

House Speaker Paul Ryan is blaming Senate Republicans for the party's failure to pass new healthcare legislation, saying he hopes House Republicans' "friends in the Senate can figure out how they can get a bill passed."

Ryan addressed the issue at a press conference Tuesday morning, the day after two GOP senators tipped the balance against the bill, effectively killing it.

Ryan, who led the effort to pass the House version of the healthcare bill, said the House had fulfilled its responsibilities and the effort to replace President Barack Obama's signature legislation had come to rest fully on the Senate.

"We've done this in the House — we passed our simultaneous repeal-and-replace bill," Ryan said. "We think that's the solution, we think that's the best way to go, and so we're just gonna have to wait and hope that our friends in the Senate can figure out how they can get a bill passed, get it into conference, or whatever, and get something passed."

Ryan said he and his House colleagues were "proud" of the House bill, known as the American Health Care Act, which Republican lawmakers in the Senate have rewritten in an attempt to gain support both from conservatives who want a full repeal of the Affordable Care Act and more moderate members who oppose deep cuts to Medicaid. The AHCA received very low approval ratings in polls.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/paul-ryan-threw-republican-senators-150425474.html

Trump to Republican senators: Let's talk ObamaCare over lunch
Fox News 2 hours 21 minutes ago .

Just one day after the collapse of Senate Republicans’ latest health care bill, President Trump invited every GOP senator to a luncheon Wednesday at the White House to discuss ObamaCare, Reuters reported. It is unclear what exactly the senators will discuss, but one unnamed official told the news agency that they are meeting because there’s a “movement on health care.” The inability to pass the health law, which was a major talking point during Trump’s presidential campaign, was the latest setback for the Trump administration’s effort to undo President Obama’s legacy. The Los Angeles Times wrote, “Rarely has a president taken office so focused on undoing his predecessor’s works as Donald Trump. ...
https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/14e8d6...3c70751/ss_trump-to-republican-senators:.html

Keep your eyes closely on the shells, folks, because this healthcare fiasco is nothing more than an intentional distraction as to what the Republicans are really after ... their huge tax cut for the wealthy and large corporations, and I do mean HUGE!
pic_ShellGame.jpg
They'll try to get their tax cuts passed before they get really serious about the healthcare. Most don't expect them to even get to healthcare until AFTER the mid-term elections. This "Repeal Now & Replace Later" is not going to happen. It would take way too many Republicans down with it ... this is simply a rouse until AFTER the tax cuts are passed. They'll keep robbing the US revenue sources until the country is ****** into cutting entitlements, and the health care will be the first thing to go.

Factually inaccurate. The largest "corporate" tax cuts are for pass through income, and the most brief review of this shows a test in place to ensure a proper ratio of W2 to distribution, consequently denying this work around.

The ACA repeal / replace was designed to come first for two reasons. The first reason was to finance the tax cut. And the second reason, unfortunately for the Democrats, was the help finance infrastructure.

What you witnessed in healthcare was extremely poor legislation, passed unilaterally, and an extremely poor piece of legislation to replace it, worked on unilaterally. Both political parties are at fault for anyone with any objectivity.

You can post whatever links you wish from The Economist, the Tax Foundation etc. Just keep in mind all of these organizations retroactively change their projections, completely deleting older projections, and do not cite these revisions. But it is pretty hard to argue with history, no matter how much both sides attempt to revise it.

Most elected Republicans and Democrats are a joke, and there is very little difference between the two. Neither had the ability to govern from either the minority, or majority.

kind of funny .... he appoints this commission to investigate voter fraud and protect the integrity of the vote.... quotes FDR....and yet has no care or concern of any kind with the Russian hacking!

damn.... republicans all over the news today.... little in house fueding?.... from trump jr feeling miserable about going in front of congress.... to sean hanmnity saying the republicans are over paid fro what they do....and it just goes on....

kind of makes a guy feel good..... knowing just how fucked up they are..... their chance again to govern.... and just can't seem to do it!

Last edited:
it is pretty hard to argue with history, no matter how much both sides attempt to revise it.
I'm glad you said that nongolfer ... 35 years of "Trickle Down Economics" of cutting taxes on the wealthiest & corporations, then not only NOT offsetting the loss revenue with spending cuts, but increasing spending, and creating the first $10 trillion of the national debt proves your point. Everyone has argued that creating a better health plan at a lower cost + cutting taxes couldn't possibly work UNTIL it was revealed Trump's and congress intentions of offsetting the tax cuts by cutting $800 billion from Medicaid. Trump doesn't give a rats ass about the national debt OR deficit spending AS LONG as he gets his tax cut package though congress. NOTHING has changed over the last 35 years with the way Republicans have used promises of trickle down JOBS and Wealth for the middleclass ... same promises every election. The CBC report is coming out this week on the overall projection of Trump's economic budget plan ... maybe that's one you'll accept ... that IS unless it is contrary to what you want to hear, which it will be. I believe it was Cheney that said "deficits don't matter when you cut taxes, as they pay for themselves" ... WRONG!

Yeah, you're right. It's 100% the Republicans and Trump's fault. Meanwhile, back in the real world....

The real world where if I post from work, it's ok since I own the computers. The same real world where others post partisan hackery, stealing their employer's time.

If it was only so simple. But it is simple the partisans scream. Just listen to my side, the one side, the only side. Some of the rest of us ask to ourselves, if it is so simple, you're probably wealthy and the boss correct? And then we have our answer. And we endeavor to not engage closed minded partisans. It's not worth it.

You do understand which candidate was against carried interest taxed as a capital gain correct? And you also know which candidate was ****** to follow, notwithstanding her somewhat secret speeches correct? And certainly you also understand the percentage of minimum wage jobs that actually support a household correct? I'm pretty sure you know all of this becuase of the neat gifs you post. Which many times actually contradict your well stated (repeatedly) worldview. I'm guessing you do that on purpose to troll maybe, becuase no one would really agree with one set of policy issues, but post (and cut and paste) neat gif's that tend to contradict what they believe in correct?

Insert LOL here:

I really don' think it is the Governments place to provide healthcare.
Instead I would much rather see legislation that prevents price gouging and double dipping. Clean up red tape that increases cost, subsidize expense for the elderly and stop the ******* companies from overcharging for meds. There are several things that could be done to entice Insurance companies to offer low cost insurance to individuals, even if it is mostly catastrophic insurance. Why can insurance companies offer a lower cost to a company with 200 employees, but can't offer the same "group rate" to 200 individuals?

forsing us to buy insurance, and especially stuff we will never use (like maternity leave for a man) , in my opinion is against the constitution. There are a lot of things the government can do to promote more competition and lower cost without mandating. More people would buy insurance on there own if cost were down.

minor medical care need not be as costly as it is either. It shouldn't cost people $200+ just to be checked for the flue or strep. Emergency visits are bloated as well. When I was in the ER, a close look at my bill revealed a $340.00 charge simply because a doctor stopped at my cubical, asked how I was doing and looked at my chart. During my stay, they charged my $90 per aspirin, but my wife was not allowed to bring me a bottle so I would have my own. I could go on and on.

I'm all for lower cost and affordable insurance but mandates and subsidies/tax cuts isn't' the way to do it. No secret I don't agree with the ACA and most likely won't agree with anything the Republicans come up with either.

Back