Trump lost moving on with new year go Biden

It doesn't matter what the argument you automatically take opposite of Trump regardless. You are the Definition of bias

not me…..I just dislike the fucker!

whereas you.....you post fake ******* you know to be false....willing to say or do anything to protect the fucker...AND...your party....even when the facts don't support it.....so who would be biased?

wanting to get rid of the chumps personal lawyer.....what is this country coming to when lawyers fight amou8nst themselves who is the most corrupt

but in this case I have to agree with them....that fat fucker needs to go...….to prison

Ex-DOJ officials pen letter calling for AG William Barr's ...
https://www.businessinsider.com/doj-officials-pen-letter-calling-for-ag-william-barrs...
8 hours ago · Over 1,100 former officials at the US Department of Justice have called on US Attorney General William Barr to resign over the DOJ's handling of Roger Stone's sentencing, arguing he acted...

More Than 1,100 Former DOJ Officials Press For Attorney ...
doj-officials-william-barr-roger-stone_n_5e496f03c5b...
8 hours ago · More than 1,100 former federal prosecutors and Justice Department officials are calling on Attorney General William Barr to resign following reports Barr and President Donald Trump intervened in the criminal prosecution of Trump’s friend Roger Stone.

not me…..I just dislike the fucker!

whereas you.....you post fake ******* you know to be false....willing to say or do anything to protect the fucker...AND...your party....even when the facts don't support it.....so who would be biased?
Maybe your facts are not real Facts, all media is pushing it's message to keep the public polarized and confused. I have know this for years, we keep getting good cop bad cop, CNN, MSNBC and NBC push the 100% the far left, FOX attempt's to appear to push the right but they also are pushing falsehoods.

This is an interesting site. https://newsspellcom.org/the-real-purpose-of-social-media/

Maybe your facts are not real Facts, all media is pushing it's message to keep the public polarized and confused. I have know this for years, we keep getting good cop bad cop, CNN, MSNBC and NBC push the 100% the far left, FOX attempt's to appear to push the right but they also are pushing falsehoods.

This is an interesting site. https://newsspellcom.org/the-real-purpose-of-social-media/

won't deny.....they all have a little slant and biased to them.....BUT......the major networks just can not lie because they are news stations and have standards....not to say they can't put some spin on things....they all do...…..fox got cornered last week on some "false hoods"....and was very Quick to point out they are an opinion network.....so the FCC can't get on their ass

I like CBS and think they do a pretty fair job......have them on most of the morning....the thing with the major networks....they can only lean so far....and then it is not the truth...and their ass is in trouble

I do watch some CNN in the evening...wolfe and Erin...….I watch it a lot of Sunday morning...several good shows on

trump started pushing all this fake news because as usual the news people dig.....and have since before Watergate...and if it hadn't been for the news no one would have known bout water gate...…..trump likes to push the fake news to keep people off guard from believing all the ******* he is pulling....and for a lot it does work!

but the news is a necessary evil......they keep people in public life honest!......law enforcement doesn't have time for all that

Last edited:
I don't have a TV, haven't for over ten years, I do get live broadcasters and video's online.
can't stand it online....just doesn't seem right or something

I couldn't do without a tv...….although in the morning I usually play on here with the tv on....and don't really watch it unless something special.….in th evening...take it or leave...….usually turn it so I can use it to take may nap before dinner......I do watch some old westerns a lot during the week.....matter of fact I an old Joel McCrea movie where he played Wyatt Earp was on today

and I am heavy into college sports!.....so most of the time I could take it or leave it if I had a radio in the morning maybe

90% of my info comes off Yahoo or Bing home page......read all of it every morning!

what's really irritating.....my cable bill is $220.00 a month...basic cable is about 150.....but if you want Starz (with the western channels)...it costs more....and the if you want the motor trend channel it is in with the history channel package….and it is more......what a fucking!

Last edited:
With that kind of disunity in the movement it is amazing that it doesn't crumble? But thanks to the LGBTQ+ agenda these days where it's all over any media anyone can think of I'd doubt that would happen. :unsure:

There is a great deal of disunity. The T is wagging the LGB dog.

The Michigan Womyn's Festival, run for over 40 years by feminist (lesbian) women, was hostile to trans-women, and they lost big-time. The Human Rights Campaign boycotted the festival for anti-trans hate and it was shut down.

Up your way, see the radfem Meghan Murphy and Toronto Public Library controversy -- a battle between radical feminists and trans-women, in which the trans-women achieved near total victory, and with governmental support for their case.

Also in Canada, Bill C-16 amended the Canadian Human Rights Act to make discrimination against transgender people a criminal offense. Polls show 84% of Canadians approve of the transgender protection, despite feminist claims that it erases women.

In Western countries the LesbianGayBis are pitted against the Trans in pitched political battles and are losing badly. The trans agenda is winning political protection, largely at the expense of radical feminists and trans-women now have access to nearly all women's private facilities; including women's shelters. Activist trans-women are running the LGBT show and the whole coalition is deeply fractured. There is no easy answer. The feminist agenda and trans-woman agenda are in direct opposition.

This is bad news for democrats, who depend on LGBT unity on election day. To make matters worse, even old-school feminist Lizzie Warren is pandering to trans-women; leaving the middle-aged, white feminists hardly anywhere to turn.

Last edited:
Activist trans-women are running the LGBT show and the whole coalition is deeply fractured. There is no easy answer. The feminist agenda and trans-woman agenda are in direct opposition.

This is a significant political divide, which is polarizing democrats and will likely become a national topic.

For 50 years now, Second Wave feminists have insisted that male/female differences are a social construct -- that a woman can do anything a man can do: police, fire-fighter, infantry soldier, etc. Based on this fundamental argument, women have gained entry into every male dominated job. That female physical standards were always graduated less than male standards has simply been dismissed as a temporary measure. So a female candidate can run slower, do fewer pushups and carry less weight than a male candidate -- and still be graded higher -- due to female test weighting. We have been living with this double-standard solution for many years now. It has been an overwhelming feminist success -- granting women access to all manner of formerly male-only spaces.

Suddenly, the transgender movement has employed the same equality argument to put men in direct sports competition with women. Because "female" is now defined as a gender-identity, rather than any physical conformity, these trans-claiming males who were mediocre athletes in the male divisions, are now sweeping women's records, championships and scholarships. They are often under no obligation to demonstrate any female conformity.

This is a no-win situation for feminists. If they argue that males are bigger, faster and stronger, it gives lie to the 50-year feminist boilerplate that sex differences are a social construct -- and puts all women's access to male jobs at risk. If they grit their teeth and accept it, these pseudo-trans males will dominate women's sports -- demonstrating that women actually cannot do anything men can do. It's a feminist trap of their own making.

This is not much of a problem for Republicans, who can sit back and enjoy the *******-show -- but it is hugely divisive for democrats -- and it's going to bite them.

Go Trump!

ps, As a trans-girl who is dedicated to being socially and physically female-conforming, so I can live and work as a woman, I am adamantly opposed to the concept of "gender identity" based on a mere statement.

Last edited:

Fed chief describes chinks in otherwise healthy US economy

The US has seen steady job gains that have beat expectations and lasted longer than expected, but Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell acknowledged Wednesday that all is not well.

Wage gains have remained sluggish, while Americans lag workers in other advanced economies in education and skills, the amount of people in the work ******* and the cost of health care, Powell told senators.

And the number of people working more than one job is at "a very, very high level right now," Powell said.

In two days of testimony to Congress, the Fed chief was upbeat about the economy, which is experiencing a record 11th year of growth, but he noted the chink in an otherwise healthy picture.

Though unemployment at a 50 year low, a little over 5% of workers hold multiple jobs, and earnings rising at 3% just ahead of inflation, according to government data.

While hourly gains have picked up speed, "You would have expected them to mover higher than that" with the jobless rate so low.

Last edited:
Trump touts his economy as ‘the best it has ever been.’ The data doesn’t show that.

President Trump’s State of the Union address had a lengthy section celebrating the U.S. economy, which has been growing for 11 straight years, the longest expansion in U.S. history.

Trump claimed the U.S. economy is “roaring” and “the best it has ever been." He went as far as to say the nation is “moving forward" at an “unimaginable” pace, a claim not backed up by the data.

The broad consensus among economists is that the U.S. economy is doing well, but these are not unprecedented times.

In a number of ways, the current economy is the best the nation has seen since the late 1990s. Unemployment is at a 50-year low , economic growth is steady , inflation is tame, and consumer confidence is high . This situation is helping many Americans get jobs and pay raises after years of struggles. Any president would be touting an economy like this, with record low unemployment rates for African Americans , Hispanics and people with less than a high school diploma.

“In many ways, I think the United States is doing well. We have a strong labor market,” Janet L. Yellen said Tuesday at a Bipartisan Policy Center event. Yellen is a former chair of the Federal Reserve and a former head of the White House Council of Economic Advisers under President Bill Clinton.

But where Trump goes too far is in touting this economy as the “best ever” and trying to portray the end of the Obama era as dire and himself as the hero flying in on the Trump jet to save the day. He has taken steps such as tax cuts to keep the economy growing and increase competitiveness, but he’s also inflicted pain. His tariffs have hurt U.S. manufacturing and agriculture. And his tax cuts and increased government spending have added substantially to the national debt .

Consider economic growth. Last year, the U.S. economy grew 2.3 percent — about average for this expansion and well below the 4 percent level Trump promised. So far in Trump’s term, growth is averaging 2.5 percent. That’s higher than under Presidents Barack Obama or George W. Bush, but much slower than the averages for Clinton and Ronald Reagan.

It’s a similar story looking at the stock market. The return so far for the Dow Jones industrial average during Trump’s tenure is very good (about 45 percent since he took office), but it’s below the returns of Clinton and Obama three years into their respective presidencies.

What’s different today, especially compared with the end of Obama’s second term, is that consumer confidence is significantly higher about the economy. In January 2017, 46 percent of Americans were satisfied with the state of the economy. In January 2020, that was up to 68 percent, according to a recent Gallup poll .

The uptick comes from the fact that nearly 6.7 million more Americans are employed today than when Trump took office. Monthly job gains were stronger under Obama than Trump , but the labor market has tightened further in recent years, helping more people feel better off. A combination of higher wage gains in recent months and Trump’s tax cuts have helped most Americans feel richer, even though many still worry about how to pay for health care, baby care and college.

Overall, Trump’s economic track record is mixed . His “Trumponomics” playbook is big tax cuts, deregulation and tariffs. There’s widespread agreement that the tax cuts that took effect in 2018 boosted growth, sent the stock market to record highs and helped fuel the hot labor market, even triggering a hiring binge for blue-collar workers . But the effect was short-lived and came at a hefty cost to the national debt ,

Trump’s eagerness to impose tariffs last year spooked businesses. The tariffs caused companies to drastically scale back spending and pushed U.S. manufacturing into a mild recession in 2019 . The tariffs have hit the hardest on parts used to make cars, washing machines and other products, raising costs for U.S. companies. A widely watched gauge of the health of the manufacturing sector — a survey of purchasing managers from the Institute for Supply Management fell in December to its lowest level since the Great Recession.

The president argues that the tariffs were necessary to win concessions from China and other nations. He recently signed a partial “Phase One” trade deal with China and a revised deal with Mexico and Canada. In the short term, some U.S. businesses suffered clear pain from these tariffs. There’s hope that these deals will lead to more business opportunities for U.S. companies abroad, but that remains to be seen .

Perhaps the best case Trump can make for improvement, since he came into office, is higher wages . The unemployment rate has been falling steadily since 2011, but Obama and his top advisers regularly lamented that pay wasn’t going up much, even in 2015 and 2016. Business leaders believed there were still plenty of people seeking work, so they didn’t need to raise wages to attract and keep workers.

But that dynamic changed in 2018. Average hourly earnings, especially for rank-and-file workers, really started to pick up.

Many economists say businesses were ****** to increase pay as the unemployment rate dropped below 4 percent, making it harder to find workers. Minimum wage increases in many states and cities played a role, too . Some economists also credit Trump’s large corporate tax cuts and deregulation push for helping keep the labor market hot.

Trump frequently notes that wage growth has been faster over much of the past year for lower-paid workers and non-managers than it has been for bosses, a welcome sign. He’s right that wage gains for nonsupervisory workers climbed as high as 3.6 percent in October, a level not seen since the crisis, according to the Labor Department, though the rate has since fallen.

As Trump takes a victory lap on the economy, his challenge is to keep the economy on a steady course as many of his tariffs continue to drag down global growth and as the coronavirus presents yet another serious worry for global business.

Trump “undoubtedly is concerned that the economy might be simply a modest plus in November, not the huge advantage that he’s counting on,” said Greg Valliere, chief strategist at AGF Investments.

Doyle McManus: Trump once vowed to wipe out the federal deficit. Now he's just pretending

WASHINGTON — “Promises made, promises kept” has been one of President Trump’s frequent boasts in his campaign for a second term.

So it was a little awkward this week when his own proposed budget acknowledged, in the fine print, that several of his key promises haven’t been kept at all.

When Trump ran in 2016, he promised that if Congress enacted big tax cuts for corporations, economic growth would soar to 4% or more. “I actually think we can go higher,” he said.
He promised to balance the federal budget in eight years, a longstanding Republican aim that those economic growth rates could make possible.

Neither goal is being met — not even close

In 2017, a Republican Congress approved Trump’s corporate tax cut.

It gave the economy a boost, but only a temporary one. Growth reached 2.9% in 2018 but slowed to 2.3% last year. It’s running about 2% now, according to private-sector economists.

That has extended the long economic expansion that began under President Obama, as well as reduced unemployment and raised wages — all good things.

But it’s far short of Trump’s initial 4% promise, and it’s done nothing to balance the federal budget. Quite the contrary; Trump’s tax cut ballooned the deficit by about $1 trillion a year — and his new budget forecasts that pace to continue.

To which Trump’s budget chief said as he unveiled the new budget this week: Never mind.

“This president is a “promises made, promises kept” kind of president,” Russell Vought, the acting director of the Office of Management and Budget, told reporters.

The promises are still there, he said. They’ve just been scaled back.

They’re also still wildly unrealistic. Trump’s proposed budget forecasts 2.8% growth this year, growing to a steady 3% after that. Those numbers are way above reputable economists’ estimates.

With 3% growth, Vought said, the federal budget could come into balance 15 years from now, in 2035. That’s 10 years later than Trump promised, but who’s counting?

His pie-in-the-sky growth number is what budgeteers call a “magic asterisk” — a statistical device that allows a president to claim that he’s meeting his goals even when he’s not. Obama and earlier presidents used them too.

But Trump’s election-year budget plan uses a second magic asterisk to make the deficit look better.

It assumes that the Federal Reserve will keep interests low for the next 10 years, which will reduce the cost of interest on the national debt. That’s a wish more than a forecast.

And a third magic asterisk, maybe the biggest: It assumes Congress will enact all of Trump’s proposed cuts in domestic spending, from Obamacare and Medicaid to environmental protection and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

That’s not going to happen. House Democrats have promised to resist draconian cuts in the social safety net, health and the environment, just as they did last year and the year before.

Republicans in the Senate have rejected many of Trump’s proposals, too, including cuts in farm subsidies and foreign aid.

Many of his domestic spending proposals represent other broken promises.

When he ran last time, Trump pledged he would not touch Medicaid. He promised to replace Obamacare with a better, cheaper health insurance plan. He vowed to protect clean air and clean water. He’s done none of those things.

Presidents’ budgets are often little more than a wish list that Congress politely ignores. But Trump’s new budget, with that mountain of magic asterisks, is wholly untethered from reality.

read more

Opinion: Why the economy won’t re-elect Trump

Republicans are counting on a strong economy to re-elect President Donald Trump but off-year elections in Virginia, Kentucky, Louisiana and Mississippi indicate he is in trouble.

Relying on historical voting patterns, a widely respected model built by Yale University economist Ray Fair predicts a Trump majority in the popular vote. Similarly, Oxford Economics gives the president a five-point win.

What those models miss is that voters’ perceptions—not the real economic numbers—and to whom they assign credit are what count. Those are becoming increasingly more tribal

More than 80% of Republicans are happy with the economy but fewer than 40% of Democrats. Political scientists find consumer confidence and presidential approval ratings correlated strongly from Presidents John F. Kennedy though George W. Bush but have been statistically disassociated for both Presidents Barack Obama and Trump.

A recent New York Times Upshot and Siena College survey indicate the president remains highly competitive in six battleground states — Michigan, Pennsylvania, Florida, Arizona and North Carolina. Even if he loses the popular vote by a larger margin than in 2016, he could eke out an Electoral College majority by winning Florida with its 29 electoral votes and two or three of the others if the rest of the country map goes the same as in 2016.

I would not bet on the latter — even in some “safe” Republican states

These days, Americans are less focused on the big macroeconomic numbers—stronger wage growth and low unemployment—and are more troubled by skyrocketing prescription ******* and health insurance costs, roads and other transportation solutions, college tuition and student loans, and the wage/opportunity gap for women.

Trump promised to fix these and other problems and simply has not much to show. His denials about climate change fly in the face of facts. Witness increased incidents of severe hurricanes, flooding, and wildfires in California—PG&E’s transmission lines did not suddenly become rickety.

Mostly moderate Democrats flipped 40 House seats in 2018 by focusing on practical solutions to many of these problems.

Joe Biden’s low energy and poor organization in places like Iowa and absence of creative ideas handicap him against Sen. Elizabeth Warren, and she is emerging the likely Democratic nominee. Republicans are banking that her heavy tax and regulatory approaches to reworking health care—ending private insurance—would make her an easy target.

Three of the last four presidents tried to reinvent health care but failed. Obamacare didn’t bend the cost curve but instead has proven just a cumbersome subsidy program to help working Americans and the poor better obtain health insurance.

However, Warren’s radical platform on health care and other issues is signaling that she will take the above-mentioned problems more seriously than Trump and get to some solutions with a Democratic Congress.

Democratic politicians and pundits that would like the senator to move toward the middle on those issues overlook that the president is running a radical campaign that does not require her to pivot.

In Kentucky, defeated Gov. Matt Bevin ran exactly the kind of campaign Trump is running at his big rallies—appealing to white, noncollege educated voters by banging hard on cultural issues, abortion, gun rights and political correctness.

That’s the mirror image of Hillary Clinton’s identity politics campaign. By staying in safe zones like Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi, Trump is duplicating her 2016 mistake of ignoring the deplorables in the Rust Belt. This time he’s snubbing the young college-educated and women voters that increasingly vote Democratic.

He can’t take his road show effectively to the suburbs of Washington and Richmond, New Orleans and Baton Rouge,West of Jackson, Miss., and the Kentucky suburbs of Cincinnati. Democrats took control of the legislature in Virginia and their gubernatorial candidates won in Kentucky and Louisiana and did well in Mississippi in those precincts with moderate issues-oriented campaigns.

Mr. Trump: If not in the South, then where?

Shifting demographics make the president’s base a declining share of registered voters. Energizing that base will only work for him if voter turnout among suburban women and young college-educated voters is low. That is not likely because polls indicate unusually high voter interest.

Holding mass rallies in safe places where folks adore him will hardly deliver for Trump four of the above-mentioned swing states and perhaps not even red ones like Kentucky.

Last edited:

The Rust Belt Didn’t Have to Happen

The long list of decaying Rust Belt communities gives the impression that their decline must have been inevitable. Detroit’s fall is often discussed as merely the most famous example of a regional rule. But the story of a small Midwest manufacturing city that didn’t rust shows that they didn’t all have to go this way.

Vice President Mike Pence’s hometown of Columbus, Indiana, thrived while other cities declined, because J. Irwin Miller, its wealthiest and most prominent industrialist, remained deeply rooted in and committed to his city. He used his clout, money, and a visionary progressive approach to build up Columbus for long-term success. A new biography of him called J. Irwin Miller: The Shaping of an American Town, by Nancy Kriplen, reveals not just the story of a city but one of a lost model of American leadership that the country badly needs to recover if many of its communities are to ever turn around.

Miller was the fourth-generation scion of Columbus’s premier banking family, who became the CEO of Cummins, a major diesel-engine manufacturer originally bankrolled by the family. He was farsighted enough to see even in the 1950s that the ability to attract highly educated talent would determine whether his company survived in a small Indiana city. He felt that talent acquisition and retention required above all else good schools. So he approached Columbus with an offer it couldn’t refuse: The Cummins Foundation would pay the architecture fees for all new schools in the community if the city picked an architect off his list. His program resulted in a world-renowned collection of schools and other buildings by a who’s who of architects, including Eliel and Eero Saarinen, I. M. Pei, César Pelli, and Harry Weese. The American Institute of Architects ranks Columbus as the sixth-best architectural destination in the United States.

Miller’s approach was superficially similar to many of today’s public-private partnerships. The difference is that his program invested in building up public goods and services, whereas all too many of today’s partnership’s are about enriching private parties at the public’s expense. When dedicating a new Cummins-financed public golf course, Miller said:

Why should an industrial company organized for profit think it a good and right thing to take $1 million and more of that profit and give it to this community in the form of this golf course and clubhouse? Why instead isn’t Cummins—the largest taxpayer in the country—spending the same energy to try to get its taxes reduced, the cost of education cut, the cost of city government cut, less money spent on streets and utilities and schools? The answer is that we should like to see this community come to be not the cheapest community in America, but the best community of its size in the country.

A Rockefeller Republican, Miller was also a social progressive with national impact. He served on the boards of MoMA, the Ford Foundation, and Yale. A lifelong member of the Disciples of Christ, he was a key ally of Lyndon B. Johnson in getting the Civil Rights Act passed while serving as president of the National Council of Churches. Closer to home, he used his clout to get anti-discrimination ordinances passed in Columbus. Miller was globally minded but also deeply rooted in his community, a combination that steered the local conservative culture in a more moderate direction.

That moderation also helped Cummins and Columbus avoid the labor strife of other Midwest cities. When national unions attempted to organize Cummins, the employees instead elected to form their own, independent Diesel Workers Union, over the objections of the United Automobile Workers. The relationship between the Diesel Workers Union and firm was much warmer than usual, with Miller given honorary union membership. As he put it, “Unions are management’s mirror. They tell you things your own people won’t admit.”

The results speak for themselves. Cummins has remained a successful global enterprise. And Columbus has prospered, never experiencing a major period of decline. Today it’s still growing in population and adding jobs faster than the nation as a whole. It’s more educated than the country at large and boasts a GDP per capita higher than Portland, Minneapolis, and Houston.

This model of forward-looking social and economic elites using their influence and money to pull their community into the future, remaining rooted and investing heavily in their hometown, is not unique to Columbus. It’s also been a key factor in the success of western-Michigan communities such as Holland, as documented in these pages by James Fallows. Local industrialists there retained control over their firms, stayed living in and committed to their hometown, and invested their money heavily to build up the public realm of the city, such as when Edgar Prince paid to install an automated snowmelt system under downtown sidewalks.

Too many wealthy elites and corporations today, however, only talk about social responsibility as they pad their bottom lines.
Companies such as Amazon and Foxconn, for example, have mastered the art of extracting subsidies from communities. This reality has soured many on the left to the wealthy and corporations; the idea that old-money power brokers would lead communities simply doesn’t sit well with them. On the Tea Party right, meanwhile, fiscal hawks embrace the very cuts to public goods and services that Miller rejected

If America’s corporate and other elites want to actually defuse the populist anger being directed their way, they might want to think about emulating Miller. That’s what Pence arguably did: He was originally an advocate of the Tea Party approach, but as governor of Indiana, he implemented a program called the Regional Cities Initiative to use state funds as an incentive for private benefactors to start investing in public goods and services in local communities.

Columbus’s success can’t be solely attributed to Miller’s approach, though. Success in the real world is complex, and involves good fortune as well as good decisions. Nor has Columbus been totally immune to industrial transition over the years; for example, it lost its other Fortune 500 company, Arvin Industries, to a merger. Despite diversifying its economy, it still remains heavily dependent on Cummins, a firm facing global competition and a looming transition away from fossil fuels. And while Cummins remains an unusually civically committed company, Miller himself passed away in 2004, and his children have all left Columbus.

Still, thanks to Miller’s and Cummins’s decades-long commitments, Columbus is in a place most other Midwest manufacturing towns can only envy. America has a lot to relearn from them about what it actually takes to build long-term community prosperity. It’s not just about macroeconomic policy, but also about the behavior of corporations and local elites.

again poor management and greed

trump and his "sugar fix" on the economy may come back to bite us all in the ass...….he wanted the interest rate down to make the economy look good but...……..what now if there is a "pinch"

Shrinking Influence of Central Banks Ends Decades of Business as Usual

The Federal Reserve and other central banks have long been the unchallenged drivers of financial markets and the business cycle. “Don’t fight the Fed,” goes one Wall Street adage.

That era is drawing to a close. In many countries, interest rates are so low, even negative, that central banks can’t lower them further. Tepid economic growth and low inflation mean they can’t raise rates, either

Since World War II, every recovery was ushered in with lower rates as the Fed moved to stimulate growth. Every recession was preceded by higher interest rates as the Fed sought to contain inflation.

But with interest rates now stuck around zero, central banks are left without their principal lever over the business cycle. The Eurozone economy is stalling, but the European Central Bank, having cutting rates below zero, can’t or won’t do more. Since 2008, Japan has had three recessions with the Bank of Japan, having set rates around zero, largely confined to the sidelines.

The U.S. may not be far behind. “We are one recession away from joining Europe and Japan in the monetary black hole of zero rates and no prospect of escape,” said Harvard University economist Larry Summers. The Fed typically cuts short-term interest rates by 5 percentage points in a recession, he said, yet that is impossible now with rates below 2%.

Workers, companies, investors and politicians may need to prepare for a world where the business cycle rises and falls largely without the influence of central banks.

“The business cycle we’re used to is a bad guide to business cycles going forward,” said Ray Dalio, founder of Bridgewater Associates LP, the world’s biggest hedge fund.

In November, Fed chairman Jerome Powell warned Congress that “the new normal now is lower interest rates, lower inflation, probably lower growth…all over the world.” As a result, he said, the Fed is studying ways to alter its strategy and develop tools that can work when interest rates approach zero.

Central banks are calling on elected officials to employ taxes, spending and deficits to combat recessions. “It’s high time I think for fiscal policy to take charge,” Mario Draghi said in September, shortly before stepping down as ECB president.

There are considerable doubts that any new tools can restore the influence of central banks, or that countries can overcome obstacles to more robust fiscal policy, particularly political opposition and steep debt.

Business cycles in the future may resemble those of the 19th century, when monetary policy didn’t exist. From 1854 to 1913, the U.S. had 15 recessions, according to the National Bureau of Economic Research, the academic research group that dates business cycles. Many were severe. One slump lasted from 1873 to 1879, and some historians argue it lingered until 1896.

The causes of business cycles were diverse, Wesley Claire Mitchell, an NBER founder, wrote in 1927. They included “the weather, the uncertainty which beclouds all plans that stretch into the future, the emotional aberrations to which business decisions are subject, the innovations characteristic of modern society, the ‘progressive’ character of our age, the magnitude of savings, the construction of industrial equipment, ‘generalized overproduction,’ the operations of banks, the flow of money incomes, and the conduct of business for profits.”

He didn’t mention monetary or fiscal policy because, for all practical purposes, they didn’t exist. Until 1913, the U.S. hadn’t had a central bank, except for two brief periods. As for fiscal policy, U.S. federal spending and taxation were too small to matter.

When central banks were established, they didn’t engage in monetary policy, which means adjusting interest rates to counter recession or rein in inflation. Many countries were on the gold standard which, by tying the supply of currency to the stock of gold, prevented sustained inflation.

The Fed was established in 1913 to act as lender of last resort, supplying funds to commercial banks that were short of cash, not to manage inflation or unemployment. Not until the Great Depression did that change.

In 1933, Franklin D. Roosevelt took the U.S. off the gold standard, giving the Fed much more discretion over interest rates and the money supply. Two years later, Congress centralized Fed decision-making in Washington, better equipping it to manage the broader economy.

Macroeconomics, the study of the economy as a whole instead of individuals and firms, was born from the work of British economist John Maynard Keynes. He showed how individuals and firms, acting rationally, could together spend too little to keep everyone employed.

In those circumstances, monetary or fiscal policy could generate more demand for a nation’s goods and services, Mr. Keynes argued. Just as a dam regulates the flow of a river to counter flooding and drought, monetary and fiscal-policy makers must try to regulate the flow of aggregate demand to counter inflation and recession.

The Employment Act of 1946 committed the U.S. to the idea of using fiscal and monetary policy to maintain full employment and low rates of inflation.

The next quarter-century followed a textbook script. In postwar America, rapid economic growth and falling unemployment yielded rising inflation. The Fed responded by raising interest rates, reducing investment in buildings, equipment and houses. The economy would slide into recession, and inflation would fall. The Fed then lowered interest rates, investment would recover, and growth would resume.

The textbook model began to fray at the end of the 1960s. Economists thought low interest rates and budget deficits could permanently reduce unemployment in exchange for only a modest uptick in inflation. Instead, inflation accelerated, and the Fed induced several deep and painful recessions to get it back down.

By the late 1990s, new challenges emerged. One was at first a good thing. Inflation became both low and unusually stable, barely fluctuating in response to economic growth and unemployment.

The second change was less beneficial. Regular prices were more stable, but asset prices became less so. The recessions of 2001 and 2008 weren’t caused by the Fed raising rates. They resulted from a boom and bust in asset prices, first in technology stocks, then in house prices and mortgage debt.

After the last bust, the Fed kept interest rates near zero from 2008 until 2015. The central bank also purchased government bonds with newly created money—a new monetary tool dubbed quantitative easing—to push down long-term interest rates.

Despite such aggressive stimulus, economic growth has been slow. Unemployment has fallen to a 50-year low, but inflation has persistently run below the 2% target the Fed set. A similar situation prevails abroad.

In Japan, Britain and Germany, unemployment is down to historic lows. But despite short-and long-term interest rates near and sometimes below zero, growth has been muted. Since 2009, inflation has averaged 0.3% in Japan and 1.3% in the Eurozone.

The textbook model of monetary policy is barely operating, and economists have spent the last decade puzzling why.

One explanation focuses on investment, the main driver of long-term economic growth. Investment is financed out of saving. When investment is high relative to saving, that pushes interest rates up because more people and businesses want to borrow. If saving is high relative to investment, that pushes rates down. That means structurally low investment coupled with high saving by businesses and aging households can explain both slow growth and low interest rates.

Richard Clarida, the Fed’s vice chairman, cited another reason during a speech in November. Investors in the past, he said, demanded an interest rate premium for the risk that inflation would turn out higher than they expected. Investors are now so confident central banks will keep inflation low that they don’t need that premium. Thus, central banks’ success at eradicating fear of inflation is partly responsible for the low rates that currently limit their power.

While the Fed’s grip on growth and inflation may be slipping, it can still sway markets. Indeed, Mr. Dalio said, the central bank’s principal lever for sustaining demand has been its ability to drive up asset prices as well as the debt to finance assets, called leverage. Since the 2008 crisis, low rates and quantitative easing have elevated prices of stocks, private equity, corporate debt and real estate in many cities. As prices rise, their returns, such a bond or dividend yield, decline.

That dynamic, he said, has reached its limit. Once returns have fallen close to the return on cash or its equivalent, such as Treasury bills, “there is no incentive to lend, or invest in these assets.” At that point, the Fed is no longer able to stimulate spending.

A central bank can always raise rates enough to slow growth in pursuit of lower inflation; but it can’t always lower them enough to ensure faster growth and higher inflation.

The European Central Bank has tried—cutting interest rates to below zero, in effect charging savers. Its key rate went to minus 0.5% from minus 0.4% in September. At that meeting and since, resistance has grown inside the ECB to even more negative rates for fear that would reduce bank lending or have other side effects.

In December, Sweden’s central bank, which implemented negative rates in 2015, ended the experiment and returned its key policy rate to zero. Fed officials have all but ruled out ever implementing negative rates.

In a new research paper, Mr. Summers, who served as President Clinton’s Treasury secretary and President Obama’s top economic adviser, and Anna Stansbury, a Ph.D. student in economics at Harvard, say very low or negative rates are “at best only weakly effective…and at worst counterproductive.”

They cited several reasons why. Some households earn interest from bonds, money-market funds and bank deposits. If rates go negative, that source of purchasing power shrinks. Some people nearing retirement may save more to make up for the erosion of their principal by very low or negative rates.

Moreover, the economy has changed in ways that weaken its response to interest-rate cuts, they wrote. The economy’s two most interest-sensitive sectors, durable goods manufacturing, such as autos, and construction, fell to 10% of national output in 2018 from 20% in 1967, in part because America’s aging population spends less on houses and cars. Over the same period, financial and professional services, education and health care, all far less interest sensitive, grew to 47% from 26%.

They concluded the response of employment to interest rates has fallen by a third, meaning it is harder for the Fed to generate a boom.

The U.S. isn’t likely to plunge into another financial crisis like 2008, Mr. Dalio said, as long as interest rates remain near zero. Such low rates allow households and companies to easily refinance their debts.

More likely, he said, are shallow recessions and sluggish growth, similar to what Japan has experienced—what he called a “big sag.”

Former Fed chairman Ben Bernanke this month estimated that through quantitative easing and “forward guidance,” committing to keep interest rates low until certain conditions are met, the Fed could deliver the equivalent of 3 percentage points of rate cuts, enough, in addition to two to three points of regular rate cuts, to counteract most recessions.

Mr. Clarida warned, however, that quantitative easing may suffer from diminishing returns in the next recession. Moreover, the next recession is likely to be global, he said this month, and if all major countries weaken at the same time, it will push rates everywhere toward zero. That would make it harder for the Fed or any other central bank to support its own economy than if only one country were in trouble.

With central banks so constrained, economists say fiscal policy must become the primary remedy to recessions

History shows that aggressive fiscal policy can raise growth, inflation and interest rates. The U.S. borrowed heavily in World War II. With help from the Fed, which bought some of the debt and kept rates low, the economy vaulted out of the Great Depression. Once wartime controls on prices and interest rates were lifted, both rose.

Today, mainstream academic economists are again recommending higher inflation and deficits to escape the low-growth, low-rate trap.

Advocates of what is called modern monetary theory say the Fed should create unlimited money to finance government deficits until full employment is reached. Some economists call for dialing up “automatic stabilizers,” the boost that federal spending gets during downturns, via payments to individuals and state governments as well as infrastructure investment.

Yet fiscal policy is decided not by economists but by elected officials who are more likely to be motivated by political priorities that conflict with the economy’s needs. In 2011, when unemployment was 9%, a Republican-controlled Congress ****** Mr. Obama to agree to deficit cuts. In 2018, when unemployment had fallen to 4%, President Trump and the GOP-controlled Congress slashed taxes and boosted spending, sharply raising the budget deficit. Mr. Trump has pressured Mr. Powell to cut rates more and resume quantitative easing, which the Fed chairman has resisted.

Fiscal policy in the Eurozone is hampered by rules that limit the debt and deficits of its member countries. It is also hamstrung by divergent interests: Germany, the country that can most easily borrow, needs it least. In recent years it has refused to open the taps to help out its neighbors.

Still, Mr. Dalio predicted that a weakened Fed will eventually join hands with the federal government to stimulate demand by directly financing deficits.

Once central banks have agreed to finance whatever deficits politicians wish to run, however, they may have trouble saying no when the need has passed.

The experience abroad and in the U.S.’s past suggests that once politicians are in charge of monetary policy, inflation often follows. In the 1960s and 1970s, presidents Johnson and Nixon pressured the Fed against raising rates, setting the stage for the surge in inflation in the 1970s. Such a scenario seems remote today, but it may not always be

Last edited:
Back