Politics, Politics, Politics

Facebook: Russian group spent $100,000 on ads during 2016 election

"Fake news" was one of the biggest buzzwords surrounding the hotly contested 2016 presidential election, with lots of attention focusing on Facebook's role as a platform for distributing misleading stories. After some reluctance, Facebook has slowly but surely taken steps to keep fake news distribution pages from finding a foothold, and today the company has revealed some data around how widespread the problem actually is. Chief security officer Alex Stamos said in a blog post that Facebook reviewed ad buys and discovered that about $100,000 in ad spend from June 2015 through May 2017 was connected to 470 "inauthentic" pages and accounts -- and it looks like the pages were both affiliated with each other and run out of Russia.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/facebook-russian-group-spent-100-203400025.html

So like there should be a single payer system that includes everyone
Well, therein lies the future, bigger problem of eventually getting healthcare to the masses. If healthcare IS going to be a political battle ground, Obamacare vs PPACA vs Private Insurance was a tiny battle compared to what lies ahead of us. Try teaching the uneducated, sheep of either of the parties the difference between Single-Pay, Universal Care, and Medicare For All and you'll realize that the likelihood of getting affordable healthcare to the masses in OUR lifetime is probably less likely than you or I winning a lottery somewhere. The health insurance industry is not, and I repeat strongly ... is NOT going to allow itself to be worked out of the equation of providing healthcare. So they see the Democrats as much of an obstructionist to healthcare as they see the Republicans. So, I can't see "Single-Pay" being the option, moving forward, anymore than I can see Burney Sander's "Medicare For All". A more logical solution would be "Universal Care", providing the basic, essential care coverage and allowing each individual to further enhance & customize their health care (on their own) under insurance industry provided options. Allowing individuals to buy individual plans across state lines sets up the "junk health care" plans again ... plans that are overpriced for the benefits they provide. You have to carefully read those plans just to know how limited they are in coverage. State required mandates have a purpose, believe it or not ... and that's to keep fairness to the consumers. However, some states don't view it that way ... its all "business" to them (because the insurance companies in that state pay them to look the other way), thus consumers flock to the states with the cheapest cost, misleading benefits, and it becomes a "buyer beware" scenario. Then when they need to use their benefits, they find that they have "zippidy doodah" for coverage. A terrible time to find out your policy is worthless.

An interesting article you'll enjoy reading on healthcare ...
http://www.benefitspro.com/2017/08/...k?ref=hp-blogs&page_all=1&slreturn=1504278927

Last edited:
If healthcare IS going to be a political battle ground, Obamacare vs PPACA vs Private Insurance was a tiny battle compared to what lies ahead of us.

you must deal in health care or something... you seem to be up on it quite a bit

It's something I never paid much attention to... just took it for granted since I get it free at work... I know there is a big difference between what my wife gets through her work and what I get from mine
mine covers the whole family and is all free but ends when I retire... hers cost her some and a lot more if she were to cover me but hers will come out of her pension and is supplied for life
mine agreed to sell me a policy at a discounted rate after I retire... but after looking at some of those articles I saw looking up that lawsuit I see my insurance is going to quit in this state next year... right now that's my companies issue.... but in the next 2 to 3 years it is going to be my issue so really paying attention to all this right now

taxes and health care just was never an issue... and now at my age both are!
we both had extra money come out for taxes so we wouldn't have to pay any at the end of the year.... last year we paid off the house and bought some property in Missouri where we plan to retire to.... and in doing that we had to pay over $!,000 in taxes this year!

Things I have always just taken for granted are starting to become big issues!

Your just now figuring that out?

yes I always knew it was/is about the money...... but with ins from work...didn't really get into it that much.... but now with time running out on the free ins... I am starting to really pay attention

also with my work ins I never have a co-pay or any of that so really never got into the pricing

I did start watching way back when the ACA first started ( politics I do pay attn. to) and remember the right going to work with the dems on it... and then all of a sudden the right wanted nothing to do with it... saw a posting of what each republican that was on that committee was getting paid by diff med companies

threw that in with just more gov corruption!....Grassley shooting off his mouth the most made over a million from speaking engagements and etc off Pharm companies

the more you look at gov the more you realize... we are flat fucked!

anyone notice how about every day now P u t I n has some comment about what needs to be in the world now?

he has stuck his nose in about every country and ****** changes in most I guess now he considers himself THE world leader!

Facebook: Russian group spent $100,000 on ads during 2016 election

"Fake news" was one of the biggest buzzwords surrounding the hotly contested 2016 presidential election, with lots of attention focusing on Facebook's role as a platform for distributing misleading stories. After some reluctance, Facebook has slowly but surely taken steps to keep fake news distribution pages from finding a foothold, and today the company has revealed some data around how widespread the problem actually is. Chief security officer Alex Stamos said in a blog post that Facebook reviewed ad buys and discovered that about $100,000 in ad spend from June 2015 through May 2017 was connected to 470 "inauthentic" pages and accounts -- and it looks like the pages were both affiliated with each other and run out of Russia.
If you compare the the Russians may or may not have spent on Facebook it is pocket change compared to what was spent overall in the election

Well, therein lies the future, bigger problem of eventually getting healthcare to the masses. If healthcare IS going to be a political battle ground, Obamacare vs PPACA vs Private Insurance was a tiny battle compared to what lies ahead of us. Try teaching the uneducated, sheep of either of the parties the difference between Single-Pay, Universal Care, and Medicare For All and you'll realize that the likelihood of getting affordable healthcare to the masses in OUR lifetime is probably less likely than you or I winning a lottery somewhere. The health insurance industry is not, and I repeat strongly ... is NOT going to allow itself to be worked out of the equation of providing healthcare. So they see the Democrats as much of an obstructionist to healthcare as they see the Republicans. So, I can't see "Single-Pay" being the option, moving forward, anymore than I can see Burney Sander's "Medicare For All". A more logical solution would be "Universal Care", providing the basic, essential care coverage and allowing each individual to further enhance & customize their health care (on their own) under insurance industry provided options. Allowing individuals to buy individual plans across state lines sets up the "junk health care" plans again ... plans that are overpriced for the benefits they provide. You have to carefully read those plans just to know how limited they are in coverage. State required mandates have a purpose, believe it or not ... and that's to keep fairness to the consumers. However, some states don't view it that way ... its all "business" to them (because the insurance companies in that state pay them to look the other way), thus consumers flock to the states with the cheapest cost, misleading benefits, and it becomes a "buyer beware" scenario. Then when they need to use their benefits, they find that they have "zippidy doodah" for coverage. A terrible time to find out your policy is worthless.

An interesting article you'll enjoy reading on healthcare ...
http://www.benefitspro.com/2017/08/...k?ref=hp-blogs&page_all=1&slreturn=1504278927
As I understand my coverage (Part of my retirement package was my healthcare is completely covered, I don't care how they do it)I am out of Medicare. They are paying for a plan under Part C as I understand it.

There are three majors problems with what we have now. There are no real costs controls. There is co accountability. and most important PPACA doesn't a far better job protecting the medical field from fraud investigation than it does in protecting patients privacy.

I think it is doable to get a single payer system. Trump made the right move in the long run to cut subsidies. It puts the onus of payment on the policy holder. Rates go up especially way up and people are going to be pissed. If there is an organized effort to inform the populace what needs to be done I think it is doable. Big dollars wield enormous political influence but politicians still need the votes of their constituents to get elected. You might think I am unrealistic but you need to remember I grew up during the Civil Rights Movement

anyone notice how about every day now P u t I n has some comment about what needs to be in the world now?

he has stuck his nose in about every country and ****** changes in most I guess now he considers himself THE world leader!
All he is doing is trying to reclaim super power status, and he just doesn't have the economic resources to do this. How poor is the Russian economy? The have lost or had seriously damaged at least two moth balled nuclear submarines. And how did the submarines get damaged. Security personnel are using oil lamps when inspecting the subs. There has always been a serious alcohol problem in the Soviet Union/Russia. The analysis I read stated that fires got started in the subs when a ******* security person dropped their oil lamp and it broke starting a fire. In a confined space things can go south very fast.

Your just now figuring that out? :eek:

Its always about the money - always.
Any business is the same way, it exists to make money. They provide goods or services and expect to make a profit doing so. Failure to do that and at some point the business ceases to exist. The insurance industry is no different. What is different is that they have managed to convince the government to pass laws that make purchasing their products mandatory

Case in point, until a few years ago you weren't required to have car insurance in Wisconsin. The law got passed that insurance was mandatory and my insurance went up 60% in 18 months. No change of vehicle, no accidents no tickets, or crossing an age threshold like 65. Now the health industry has the same privilege with one huge caveat. Their premiums are subsidized for a good number of their customers

Last edited:
Case in point, until a few years ago you weren't required to have care insurance in Wisconsin. The law got passed that insurance was mandatory and my insurance went up 60% in 18 months. No change of vehicle, no accidents no tickets, or crossing an age threshold like 65. Now the health industry has the same privilege with one huge caveat. Their premiums are subsidized for a good number of their customers

Yep, and what boggles me even more so is the amount of people that can't see this. Even though they were subsidized - the premiums still went up - but of course that is blame on the republicans, I'm sure it had nothing to do with it being mandatory. . . . . . . :unsure:

As I understand my coverage (Part of my retirement package was my healthcare is completely covered, I don't care how they do it)I am out of Medicare.
I suspect your company offers you options under Health Care Advantage which continues benefits similar to your company's plan but under Medicare rules.
There are no real costs controls. There is co accountability. and most important PPACA doesn't a far better job protecting the medical field from fraud investigation than it does in protecting patients privacy.
You can thank Republicans for most of these, Torp ... the ACA provided a lot of cost containment features like the 80/20 and 85/15 rules which had already resulted in "billions" of premium refunds back to payors. Here's a good article on many of these things, but the bottom line, REPUBLICANS had stopped most in order to make PPACA fail. Thing is, it would be understandable IF they had a true, competitive plan of their own to replace it with ... but they didn't and Dumb Nuts Trump knows NOTHING about anything in Washington, much less health care.
http://www.chrt.org/publication/cost-containment-affordable-care-act-overview-policies-savings/

I think it is doable to get a single payer system. Trump made the right move in the long run to cut subsidies. It puts the onus of payment on the policy holder.
....Single Pay system takes the health insurance company out of the equation; imagine taking the NRA out of the equation of gun regulations and manufacturing ... about the same thing yet even BIGGER. Plus it puts the government in the health insurance business which the conservatives do NOT want to happen.
Torp, the majority of the people hurt by rescinding the subsidies are minorities, poor, and older people. Trump purposely did this to implode the health system without having solutions to the results of killing ACA. Strictly political points ... all it was. He could give a rat's ass about anyone. The solutions to controlling health care costs are not that hard ...
* implement cost controls as in the attachment
* educate the public on health care starting at a very young age, like elementary school
* address & regulate prescription ******* costs here in the US​

BIG DOLLARS is what is wrong NOW with the system, Torp ... gessh! Oh wait, you're one of those who also believe that if EVERYONE carries a gun, fewer deaths and crime will occur ... almost forgot.
So NO ... I don't think you're realistic at all. You're simply painting over the problem.

Case in point, until a few years ago you weren't required to have care insurance in Wisconsin. The law got passed that insurance was mandatory and my insurance went up 60% in 18 months.
I assume you meant CAR insurance? So you don't feel that people should be required to have auto insurance if they drive an auto in public? So the *******, uninsured wino kills a family of 4, one surviving kid lives and has no funds to function in life and you say its OK? Oh, wait, again, you're one of those who thinks everyone should carry a gun on their person to lower killings and crime. Damn, I must have alzheimers.

All he is doing is trying to reclaim super power status

yes and he hasn't changed since he was in the KGB... look what he did here and in France and a few other places ...he is still a sneaky non-trust worthy bastard!

The have lost or had seriously damaged at least two moth balled nuclear submarines. And how did the submarines get damaged
surely you are not looking for sympathy...... couldn't have happened to a nicer country!

to me they are still the enemy!

Any business is the same way, it exists to make money

the funny part of all that... if you looked at those article... or maybe one of the others..not sure... but in one I read... they were STILL making money...just worried that sooner or later it would bite them!... that's bullshit

Case in point, until a few years ago you weren't required to have care insurance in Wisconsin. The law got passed that insurance was mandatory and my insurance went up 60% in 18 months. No change of vehicle, no accidents no tickets, or crossing an age threshold like 65.

I think that may vary from state to state...... I know I lived in Iowa for years.... moved down here..to hell on earth.... same car same driver no accidents....same friggn ins company (state farm)....and my ins down here went to $20 over double what it was in Iowa.... I asked... oh we get a lot of stolen cars here... more BS... I found out the ins comp go in front of the state and ask for an increase because of Tornado damage and etc...here every year.... and here the state gives it to them.... this is the first year in ??????? the state said no!

here we now lead the country in earth quakes... (fracking).... and the ins companies tried to push something through that an earth quake had to be a natural one... not caused by fracking...so they wouldn't have to pay for the damage by fracking

no matter where you go or who you deal with any more.... greed and corruption is the norm!

New Senate Obamacare repeal bill due Monday: senator
Reuters Reuters 1 hour 38 minutes

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A new Republican bill to replace Obamacare will be unveiled in the U.S. Senate on Monday with backing from President Donald Trump, according to one of two Republican senators who have crafted the legislation.

The lawmaker, Senator Bill Cassidy of Louisiana, told reporters he was optimistic the legislation could pass before a Sept. 30 deadline, if it can attract the bare minimum of 50 votes needed to succeed in the Republican-led Senate with tie-breaking support from Vice President Mike Pence.

The bill, which Cassidy is sponsoring with Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, could revive Republican hopes of overturning the Affordable Care Act weeks after their last attempt on July 28 came up one vote short in a humiliating defeat for Trump and Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell.

The new measure, which would give more healthcare powers to the states, is a revamped version of legislation that did not gain enough support during the summer healthcare debate.

"Mitch has said that if we get 50 votes, he'll hold a vote. I can tell you that the president's all about it," said Cassidy, noting the bill had also drawn some favorable comment from a key July 'no' vote, Republican Senator John McCain of Arizona.

Some Senate Republicans doubt there will be a successful last-ditch effort this year to replace former Democratic President Barack Obama's signature healthcare law.

"It is not easy to get 50-plus-one (votes). Everybody's kind of got another idea. But I'm open to it," said Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn, the chamber's No. 2 Republican.

Cassidy said the legislation has had fulsome support from White House officials including Pence, who he said had sought to rally the support of state governors.

Graham and former Republican Senator Rick Santorum have held discussions with the conservative House Freedom Caucus, which played a key role in getting an Obamacare repeal bill through the House of Representatives earlier this year.

If approved in the Senate, the bill would need to be reconciled with the House legislation. Both chambers would then need to vote a second time.

Since Democrats oppose repealing Obamacare, Republicans need to use a parliamentary procedure known as reconciliation to move healthcare legislation on a simple majority through the Senate, which they control by a 52-48 margin. The tool that allows reconciliation is contained in a 2017 budget resolution that will expire with the fiscal year on Sept. 30.

naturally he is going to support his buddy Lindsay Graham!....what happened to the bipartisan one that was worked out? not even under consideration!

Has John McCain thrown a lifeline to the GOP health care crusade?

The Republican health care crusade appeared to have effectively run its course. GOP lawmakers gave it their best shot, but the combination of intra-party divisions, widespread public revulsion, and a looming deadline led many health care advocates to breathe a sigh of relief. That is, until yesterday afternoon. The Washington Post reported: Six weeks after he stopped his party from repealing much of the Affordable Care Act, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said he could support a compromise that had been shelved months earlier — one that the president has hinted he would sign. On Wednesday, McCain told the Hill that he backed a proposal from Sens. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) and Bill Cassidy (R-La.) ...
https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/26d3fe02-5f31-3973-92a9-2449229a8711/has-john-mccain-thrown-a.html

Yeah sounds like someone with money has changed another senator's vote ... it really IS all about the MONEY!

it's always about money... but this time McCain changing to go with his "bud" Graham
so I'm guessing this one might fly

although still wonder what happened to the one bipartisan version....also kasick got his time on the hillin front of them...along with 5 other gov... what happened to his proposal?

Back