Wake Up, America! Wake Up! PLEASE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
the reason for the elctorial college was originally to (sic) hard to count vote...…..not so now...our vote should count......they have no problem counting them now...
I'm sure someone who received their education from memuversity might "think" that. Reality says otherwise. Instead of undocumented hyperbole, go to the source. The founding fathers' intent was documented in the Federalist Papers. Suggesting it was too hard to count the votes is idiotic. With the electoral college system, they have to count all the votes in each state to select electors who have an additional election to select the president and those counts have to get sent to the Federal govt to be totaled with all the other state's electoral votes. A direct election would eliminate steps making the whole thing easier back then.

The fact as clearly spelled out in Federalist #39 is the electoral college was created so that presidential power would be allocated in a compound fashion based partly on population and partly on states. This is the same as how legislative power was allocated in the legislative branch. The House of Representatives was apportioned power from a population basis while the Senate was apportioned power on a state basis. As we were a group of multiple sovereign states forming a union, this compromise effectively distributed the root of power between the populous and the individual states.

Direct quote from Federalist #39 follows....WARNING: This is not a one sentence meme. Thinking caps required to comprehend.

The next relation is, to the sources from which the ordinary powers of government are to be derived. The House of Representatives will derive its powers from the people of America; and the people will be represented in the same proportion, and on the same principle, as they are in the legislature of a particular State. So far the government is NATIONAL, not FEDERAL. The Senate, on the other hand, will derive its powers from the States, as political and coequal societies; and these will be represented on the principle of equality in the Senate, as they now are in the existing Congress. So far the government is FEDERAL, not NATIONAL. The executive power will be derived from a very compound source. The immediate election of the President is to be made by the States in their political characters. The votes allotted to them are in a compound ratio, which considers them partly as distinct and coequal societies, partly as unequal members of the same society. The eventual election, again, is to be made by that branch of the legislature which consists of the national representatives; but in this particular act they are to be thrown into the form of individual delegations, from so many distinct and coequal bodies politic. From this aspect of the government it appears to be of a mixed character, presenting at least as many FEDERAL as NATIONAL features.

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/fed39.asp

Thanks for posting though....definitely shows where you would fall in the pass/fail spectrum of a citizenship test.

And the logical fallacies will resume in 3....2....1....

The electoral college wasn’t created because is was hard to count votes. It was created because the southern (progressive/liberal) states relied heavily on slavery and felt that they would be misrepresented due to there low population of whites compared to the northern (conservative) states. To slaves were assigned 3/5 of a person for the census and the electoral college created to provide parity amongst the states.

While not perfect today, the reason that it’s important to maintain is that the entire election process would change if you went to strictly popular vote. Most notable, presidential candidates would only campaign in and therefore represent roughly 10 states and that campaigning would be focused primarily on door to door voter registration, picking up early registration ballots and driving people to polling centers. You’d see states like CA, NY and MA have huge voter turnout as a result of manipulation of the current non-voter block.

can't remember where I read that as an excuse one time.....but there is a lot more to it than that
and it is time to change the electoral vote 2 flawed elections show that

according to fact check .org
A candidate must receive a majority of electoral votes to be elected president. The reason that the Constitution calls for this extra layer, rather than just providing for the direct election of the president, is that most of the nation’s founders were actually rather afraid of democracy. James Madison worried about what he called “factions,” which he defined as groups of citizens who have a common interest in some proposal that would either violate the rights of other citizens or would harm the nation as a whole.

When U.S. citizens go to the polls to “elect” a president, they are in fact voting for a particular slate of electors. In every state but Maine and Nebraska, the candidate who wins the most votes (that is, a plurality) in the state receives all of the state’s electoral votes. The number of electors in each state is the sum of its U.S. senators and its U.S. representatives. (The District of Columbia has three electoral votes, which is the number of senators and representatives it would have if it were permitted representation in Congress.) The electors meet in their respective states 41 days after the popular election. There, they cast a ballot for president and a second for vice president. A candidate must receive a majority of electoral votes to be elected president.

The reason that the Constitution calls for this extra layer, rather than just providing for the direct election of the president, is that most of the nation’s founders were actually rather afraid of democracy. James Madison worried about what he called “factions,” which he defined as groups of citizens who have a common interest in some proposal that would either violate the rights of other citizens or would harm the nation as a whole. Madison’s fear – which Alexis de Tocqueville later dubbed “the tyranny of the majority” – was that a faction could grow to encompass more than 50 percent of the population, at which point it could “sacrifice to its ruling passion or interest both the public good and the rights of other citizens.” Madison has a solution for tyranny of the majority: “A republic, by which I mean a government in which the scheme of representation takes place, opens a different prospect, and promises the cure for which we are seeking.”

As Alexander Hamilton writes in “The Federalist Papers,” the Constitution is designed to ensure “that the office of President will never fall to the lot of any man who is not in an eminent degree endowed with the requisite qualifications.” The point of the Electoral College is to preserve “the sense of the people,” while at the same time ensuring that a president is chosen “by men most capable of analyzing the qualities adapted to the station, and acting under circumstances favorable to deliberation, and to a judicious combination of all the reasons and inducements which were proper to govern their choice.”

In modern practice, the Electoral College is mostly a formality. Most electors are loyal members of the party that has selected them, and in 26 states, plus Washington, D.C., electors are bound by laws or party pledges to vote in accord with the popular vote. Although an elector could, in principle, change his or her vote (and a few actually have over the years), doing so is rare.

As the 2000 election reminded us, the Electoral College does make it possible for a candidate to win the popular vote and still not become president. But that is less a product of the Electoral College and more a product of the way states apportion electors. In every state but Maine and Nebraska, electors are awarded on a winner-take-all basis. So if a candidate wins a state by even a narrow margin, he or she wins all of the state’s electoral votes. The winner-take-all system is not federally mandated; states are free to allocate their electoral votes as they wish.

The Electoral College was not the only Constitutional limitation on direct democracy, though we have discarded most of those limitations. Senators were initially to be appointed by state legislatures, and states were permitted to ban women from voting entirely. Slaves got an even worse deal, as a slave officially was counted as just three-fifths of a person. The 14th Amendment abolished the three-fifths rule and granted (male) former slaves the right to vote. The 17th Amendment made senators subject to direct election, and the 19th Amendment gave women the right to vote.

we have already altered it some time to alter the rest!

Here from one of the most disgusting cities, besides San Francisco, in the bay area. Hmm. That's why I have said in the past to just raise the GD minimum wage to $40 and hour. Oh there I go again being unintelligent. That would probably mean everything else would go up too. You can't teach this stuff:)

Sub you just did it again. YAHOO is one of the least credible news outlets. I thought we just talked about that. Also you keep referring to me as "she." From the very beginning when I registered for this site in 2014 I always made it clear I was the husband when communicating. Our avatar used to say couple but now for some reason it says male. My wife never logged on to this site. I always handled our hook ups.
sure looks like a female in the pic!....maam!

Suggesting it was too hard to count the votes is idiotic. With the electoral college system, they have to count all the votes in each state to select electors who have an additional election to select the president and those counts have to get sent to the Federal govt to be totaled with all the other state's electoral votes

maybe that's where I got it from...….I know I read it somewhere
but anyway just did a fact check and posted above

guess I should have done a fact check first...…….but the answer I had I got somewhere and sounded good to me...

Does Your Vote Count? A Look into the Electoral College

The Electoral College doesn’t have a sweatshirt, a logo or a mascot. It’s not a physical building, its members never get together (except with colleagues from their own state) and it ceases to exist as soon as it has performed its function. The term “Electoral College” doesn’t even appear in the Constitution. Yet its 538 members are responsible for one of the most significant tasks in the world: choosing the president of the United States.

When you cast your vote for president this November, you’re not voting for the candidate on the ballot, you’re voting for which group of electors from your state—Republican, Democrat or some third party—get to vote for president. If you don’t understand exactly how it works, you’re not alone. “For most Americans, even those who study it, the process is still a mystery,” says Christina Greer, associate professor of political science at Fordham University.

It works a lot like Congress: The U.S. is divided into 435 congressional districts, each of about 710,000 people. Each district elects one person to the House of Representatives. Every state elects two senators. Electoral College votes are allocated the same way. (The District of Columbia is the exception; it doesn’t have representation in Congress, but it gets three electoral votes.) There are 538 total electors, each with one vote.

pixel.gif
In a presidential election, every party picks its own group of electors. The candidate who gets the most popular votes in a state on Election Day “wins” all the electors for that state (except in Maine and Nebraska, where electors are doled out differently, see page 14). Electors then meet in their own states on a set day in December and vote by paper ballot. Results are sent to the vice president and other officials, and the Electoral College is dissolved (until next time). On Jan. 6, Congress meets and states’ electoral votes are counted.

Why is it called a “College”?

It has roots in the word “collegium,” which means a group of people with equal power. “It goes back to the concept of the college of cardinals that elects the pope,” says Thomas Neale, elections expert at the Library of Congress.

Why do we elect presidents this way?

The Electoral College process is outlined in Article II, Section 1, of the Constitution. It was adopted at the Constitutional Convention in 1787 and was the process used to elect George Washington. The system reflects the Founding Fathers’ concern with separation of powers and checks and balances. The people get to vote for president, the states retain plenty of power (each state gets to decide how to choose electors and how to divvy them up) and electing a president is a separate process from electing members of Congress.

Originally, electors each voted for two people. The person with the most votes became president and the second-place finisher became vice president. The Twelfth Amendment (ratified in 1804) changed that. It requires electors to specify a candidate for president and vice president, which is how we do it today.

Who are the electors?

The Constitution requires that electors can’t work for the federal government and can’t vote for a president and vice president who are both from their own state. And that’s it. The rest is up to each state.

During early presidential elections (before 24/7 coverage of candidates), “people were more likely to know who their electors were than to know the presidential candidates,” says Tara Ross, author of Enlightened Democracy: The Case for the Electoral College.

Some states choose electors during party conventions; some states have the party central committee pick electors; in Pennsylvania, presidential candidates choose their own electors. Electors are “prominent party figures” in their state (governors, state legislature leaders, long-term poll workers), loyal party members who can be counted on to vote in accordance with their state’s popular vote. In a year like this, with a highly contested election even before the national conventions, states will be very careful in choosing electors, Neale says. “They’ll want to go the extra mile to make sure the electors are fully committed.”

What if electors don’t vote for the candidate they promised to vote for?

There haven’t been many “faithless” electors (those who break ranks and vote for the other party’s candidate), but it’s happened—eight times since 1900 (nine if you count the blank ballot cast by one elector in 2000). More than 99 percent of electors have voted the way they pledged to since the system began. And those few contrary votes have never influenced the outcome of a presidential election.

as in Bush and Trump!

Are superdelegates a factor?

They aren’t. “The primary process and the Electoral College are two completely different things; they’re not at all connected,” says Ross. Primaries, caucuses, delegates, superdelegates and conventions are all about choosing a candidate and have nothing to do with the Electoral College. The Electoral College is about choosing a president.

What if there’s a tie?

Fasten your seat belts, because it’s going to be a bumpy night. If there’s a tie on Jan. 6 (the day electoral votes are counted), the newly elected Congress immediately holds a “contingent election” in which the House of Representatives elects the president and the Senate elects the vice president.

The twist: Every state gets the same number of votes, regardless of population. So California, with 55 electoral votes, gets one vote in the House and two votes in the Senate; Rhode Island, with four electoral votes, also gets one vote in the House and two votes in the Senate. A contingent election raises some interesting issues, says Neale. “If each state casts a single vote, what if that state’s House members split evenly? If you’re a representative, you have in your own mind, Do I vote for the candidate who won the national vote statewide? Do I vote for the candidate who won in my district? ” Congress has two weeks to elect the new president and vice president and can’t address other legislation until that decision is final.

What is the alternative?

To move to a popular vote nationwide would require a Constitutional amendment, no easy task. An amendment requires approval of two-thirds of both houses of Congress and a green light from three-fourths of the states. “Any proposed Constitutional amendment faces an uphill struggle,” Neale says. But there are other options.

guess that explains why it will never happen

he District Method Because states get to choose whatever method they want for divvying up electors, some would love to see more states use the “district” method like Maine and Nebraska, where two electoral votes go to the candidate who wins the popular vote statewide and the rest go to the popular vote winners in each congressional district.

The Proportional Plan With this plan, electoral votes are awarded in direct proportion to percentage of the popular vote each candidate receives.

The National Popular Vote Interstate Compact In this plan, states award their electors to whoever wins the popular vote nationwide, not statewide. So far 11 states (with 165 electoral votes) have signed on; to take effect, the compact needs enough states to total 270.

I don't like any of it!

I will bet that you have never looked at yahoo!
I use them for my homepage...although getting irritating with all the ads......but they have a wide variety of news sources on there...even fox...I just post the ones I like or something that has to do with the economy mostly

I've told you before I watch all news. What's great is the gym I belong to has FOX, CNN, and MsNBC playing at the same time. So it is very convenient to see which outlet thinks is news and which ones obviously have and agenda. I remember one day FOX was covering the meeting with Kim Jung un and CNN was for at least 30 minutes talking about Stormy. Now if that was BO or thank God Hillary they would be all over that. We should make a deal. You watch Fox for 30 minutes and I'll watch CNN for 30 minutes. Then we'll give a synopsis of what each considered news.

I use them for my homepage...although getting irritating with all the ads......but they have a wide variety of news sources on there...even fox...I just post the ones I like or something that has to do with the economy mostly
Yahoo is my homepage. my email is yahoo.com

Yahoo is my homepage. my email is yahoo.com
I've told you over and over and over. I am not a right wing radical. I voted for Obama (I get so sick of saying that) in '08. I did not in '12. I, in my opinion, thought Obama was one the worst presidents. I gave him a chance. I think the dude is cool as hell but he was way in over his head. So as I have said before if the Democrats could have come up with anyone but Hillary, I might have considered that candidate. And I'll tell you right now for the same reasons I voted for Trump, if Cory (groper) Booker or Kamala (kinda hot) Harris is one of my choices I'm going with the Republican no matter who it is. These people are rotten to the core just like Hillary.

So since I've been able to vote this is my list in order of favorite presidents:

1. Reagan
2. Trump
3. Clinton
4. GH Bush
5. GW Bush
6. Obama

So since I've been able to vote this is my list in order of favorite presidents:

1. Reagan
2. Trump
3. Clinton
4. GH Bush
5. GW Bush
6. Obama

Reagan was the downfall of this country!
before he was pres we were the richest country in the world...exporting goods.... loaning money...a lot of factory jobs that paid well...pretty much killed unions...…..and then he started this one world and most big companies went overseas where the labor was cheaper

trump is taking up where Reagan left off...didn't work for Reagan and trump is trying to take it one step further

Clinton got things fairly well back on track.....he screwed up supporting nafta….but that was a republican thing..and most thought it good so he signed it...even though it wasn't his...he got the credit/blame..because he was pres.....but things went well under him

bush tried more of the trickle down and look where it put the country.....in the tank!

Obama did well with the economy...and could have done a lot better if it wasn't for all those bailouts...trying to repair Bush's trickle down economics

I've told you over and over and over. I am not a right wing radical. I voted for Obama (I get so sick of saying that) in '08. I did not in '12. I, in my opinion, thought Obama was one the worst presidents. I gave him a chance. I think the dude is cool as hell but he was way in over his head. So as I have said before if the Democrats could have come up with anyone but Hillary, I might have considered that candidate. And I'll tell you right now for the same reasons I voted for Trump, if Cory (groper) Booker or Kamala (kinda hot) Harris is one of my choices I'm going with the Republican no matter who it is. These people are rotten to the core just like Hillary.

Hillary got a lot of bad press.....the right started doing what they could to make her look bad 2 years before she ran....I'm not a Hillary lover.....but I think she was by far the better choice
I would have liked to see Kerry make it.....he might make a run at it this time...but polls show Biden with a lead.....not a Biden fan...good man and all that...just a better no2 than a number 1

not a booker fan...although think he is trying to work up the Obama people into supporting him....but don't see him getting the nod...Harris...not a chance!

like I said most of what was put out on Hillary was all bad press from the right AND Russia
Russia wanted trump because Hillary called p u t I n election a phoney...plus trump is into them for money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back